Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 film sprocket to M4 style?
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:05:21 -0500

Probably not feasible, at least not at any affordable price.  The M3 counter resets
by sensing the removal of the takeup spool, while the M4 and later have a separate
pin that senses when the baseplate has been removed.  The speed loading takeup spool
kit for the M3 allowed you to just shove the film leader down into a slot in the
spool while it was in the camera, ala M4, but you still had to lift the spool up a
bit before loading, in order to reset the counter.  There was a nifty little collar
that you could grab with two fingertips to do the lifting, and you only had to lift
it a little way, but you still had that step to take.

Cheers,
Kip