Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak Tri X
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:48:26 +0000

I figured out Mark meant 1 +3, and I guess he used an e.i. of 400, but I
have no clue how he agitated.

Let me add a few comments:

1. if you use Xtol at high dilutions, be sure to use enough stock solution,
at least 100 ml per film. I have found 1+1 dilution gives better result
than 1+0, but I fail to see the advantages of higher than 1+1 dilutions

2. agitate gently, as the Xtol instructions say, not vigorously as the
T-max developer instructions say. I have found 10 secs or 3 inversions per
minute gives the same result as Kodaks recommended agitation every 30 secs
and gives you time to do other things in-between

3. with Xtol 1+1 I think the true speed is just under 800. However this is
a good combo for pushing - at least if your kind of photography permits you
lose a little bit of shadow detail (which may not be case as you will be
spot-metering, but is then Tri-X the right film for that type of
photography?)

4. development times for stacks of e.i.s and dilutions and temperatures are
on Kodak's web page.

>> I am going tu use the good old Tri X (metering with zone system). Who can
>> tell me a good developer for this film.
>>
>> Jochen
>>
>I have used this combination extensively:
>Xtol 1:30 12 minutes at 70 degrees F.
>Sharp as Rodinol, Fine grained as Microdol.
>A whole new ballgame in what film can do.
>Mark Rabiner

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58