Subject: [Leica] Re: [Leica[ paperless???
From: "Shawn London" <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 00:34:28 -0400

Actually, scanning film in the consumer-level slide/negative scanners that
many people on the LUG use such as the Nikon Coolscan/Polaroid models/etc.
are quite a different proposition entirely.  Rather than trying to have a
CCD array in the film plane which captures an entire scene in one exposure,
a desktop scanner utilizes a smaller, linear CCD of higher resolution which
is dragged across the film plane capturing many smaller exposures
sequentially that are combined to form the entire image.  The bottom line is
that instead of going to the trouble of having a 2 million pixel CCD to get
a certain level of image quality, you can have a much smaller one, thus
getting more with less.

One additional thing to consider here is that while a digital camera can
consider itself a "2 megapixel" camera as many do these days, it is
important to keep in mind that this is the device's CCD pixel density, not
the actual number of pixels in the final image file that it generates.  This
is due to the fact that three imaging sensing pixels in a CCD are needed to
determine the color of a single pixel in the final image. The bottom line is
that there is only 1/3 the effective resolution in a CCD that its stated
resolution would suggest.  The rest of the data is interpolated to give you
an image file of the stated resolution (i.e. 1800x1600).

The bottom line is that, as a recent article pointed out (I wish I could
remember where I read this), that you would need a digital camera with a CCD
pixel resolution of three times its stated value to equal the resolution of
a given negative/slide scanner image.  So in order to have a digital camera
that matches the true resolution of a given slide scanner with a
hypothetical final image resolution of 2.1 megapixels or 1800x1600, it would
actually have to have a CCD of 6.3 megapixels.