Subject: [Leica] New to Leica (RE+50 1.4 Summilux)
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:52:11 -0400

Manuel E. wrote:

 I hear that with the RE I'm supposed to use 3 cam
lenses. If I were to mount 1 and 2 cam lenses on my
RE,  what would the camera do or wouldn't do.
<<<

Manuel,

You may not get correct meter readings wiht the 1- and 2-cam lenses.

You would use stop-down metering with 1-cam lenses and you may have to
experiment with exposure compensation to get the right exposure.

With 2-cam lenses the RE's stepped cam follower may meet the sloped cam
intended for the SL and SL2 cam follower at the right point to give you
correct exposure (or they may not meet at all, in that case it's like a
1-cam lens) but the camera's cam follower is designed for lateral forces,
and the logitudinal forces from the sloped cam may, in time, damage the
camera.  Compared with camera repairs, the cost of a 3-cam conversion is
inexpensive.

Doug Herr
Sacramento