Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: How to mangae a camera company?
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:38:47 +0300

Paul T. Collura wrote:

> I think R lens prices are hurting R sales.  Really, who has this kind
> of money? And even if you are wealthy can you spend these sums in good
> conscience of lenses if you are not a professional photographer?  A
> few choice lenses will cost more than a car or my first home.

Well..... the USA has more than a million millionaires, so there seem to
be lots of people with plenty of cash. As to the car-comparison; a
$20,000 car is more than fine for all and any practical purposes, but I
have yet to meet the first person who didn't want to get a $50,000 car
instead. When those people get to the point when they can afford the
$50,000 vehicle, and buy one, they are in effect wasting the difference
of $30,000 (for all practical purposes). If they like photography, or
are made to believe that they like it by those cunning marketers, then
they could keep the $20,000 vehicle, and have $30,000 which will buy a
very respectable camera system from Leica. Honestly, it's all about
priorities and has little to do with price. Some cameras are cheaper,
some cars are cheaper, some fountain pens are cheaper, some watches are
cheaper, some lighters are cheaper, some cigars are cheaper, some Scotch
is cheaper.... than some other. So what? You just need to be good at
selling.

Bernard