Subject: Re: [Leica] How to support Leica?
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:17:35 -0700

> MH20793@aol.com wrote:
> What would you suggest? I can't speak for the great unwashed masses,
> whoever they are, but here are a few ideas that work for me:
>
> Seek new markets for existing products: I just leafed through a recent
> Pop Photo (the one with the Bessa-L coverage) and found a full-page
> Leica ad in there: Not a bad effort, but what about trying it in a
> non-photo magazine read by well-to-do folks with lots of disposeable
> income and hedonistic leanings? I've seen firsthand, greatly increased
> sales for my employer following an unlikely writeups in Wired, Fortune,
> etc.

Indeed.

That's the route Steinway & Son went: marketting their products to "Dr.
Rich"  Moving from selling primarily to concert halls to status conscious
consumers was a difficult transition, but in 1910s, having a Steinway grand
piano in the living room was considered the ultimate status symbol in New
York.

Really, as I have written several times on this forum, there is an awful lot
of similarity between Leica and Steinway:

Both Leica/Leitz and Steinway defined the scene: 35mm photography and
pianos, respectively.

Both Leica/Leitz and Steinway were at one point the most technologically
advanced firms.

Both were family businesses, until they were at a brink of bankruptcy.

Both suffered mismanagement after the company was sold.

Both once had a dominant market share.

Both saw their market eroded by the Japanese.

Both are still coveted by those in the know and have a very dedicated,
tenacious followings.

Both are hediously expensive.

Both do not offer the latest techno gizmo, but the ultimate in classic
products.

The list goes on.

Ken Iisaka (who loves his two Steinway pianos and two Leica M cameras)