Subject: [Leica] Shooting pumpkins
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:32:23 -0400

Yesterday I spent the afternoon photographing a couple dozen
artistic representations of pumpkins exhibited as part of a public
library's annual pumpkin festival.  Having learned the hard way to
review the instructions before doing anything beyond the ordinary
with an R8, I refreshed myself  on the in-camera studio flash
metering function.

I used a polarizer and, generally the 60 Elmarit macro. Lighting
was a small Speedotron outfit with umbrellas, positioned for a 1:2
balance. The subject pieces were placed on a black back drop.

And sonofagun - it all worked.  The prints came back from the local
one-hour shop and, for the most part, looked pretty darned good.

The lessons learned or reinforced from the shoot were:

1. Remember to switch the R8 from the metering mode to manual
after getting the reading (as the afternoon wore on, I had difficulty
remembering this one)

2. Be very careful handling other people's artwork (two casualties -
one major) or better yet, have someone else do it so you don't get
blamed

3. Turn off the R8 before stuffing it back into the bag at the end of
the session - especially if it's got a softie on the shutter release
button

4. Bring gaffer tape

5. Carry a tool like a Leatherman whose pliers tightened up a nut in
a locking collar on one of the tripod  legs.

Roy