Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film: developing
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:57:42 -0700

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> Mark:
>
> Kodak has always had this agitate every thirty second processing step for
> most of its developers as long as I can remember (early 1970's).  Ilford
> and Rodinal were the ten seconds every minute approach.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>
> At 11:08 AM 10/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >YOU GUYS!!!!
> >With all due respect to the testing facilities and results of Kodak and
> some of
> >our more illustrious members I cant see myself agitating my film every 30
> >seconds. Too much activity, too much noise, doesn't feel right to me. I
> can go
> >along with just about everything else in this new fanged T Max technology,
> >higher developer temperatures, no stop bath but I ain't going to shake rattle
> >and roll through the whole thing. 10 seconds per minute seems humane to me in
> >this car alarm world. :)
> >Mark Rabiner

As I used to sleep with the Kodak Darkroom Dataguide under my pillow in the
sixties you and Marc have got me questioning my connection to the Matrix. The
first book I grab now in real time that looks old is  "The New Leica Manual by
Willard D Morgan and Henry M Lister 1953.:
"Agitate the film for about 5 seconds after every minute of developing time."

I know this was the standard line in the 60's and it might well have been in
your early childhood memories of the seventies when they changed over. People
were undoubtedly being distracted by other things between cycles. ADD was a spore.
Mark :-) Rabiner