Subject: Re: [Leica] survival of Leica as a company
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:38:29 -0700

Summicron1@aol.com wrote:

> OK, here's some real heresy: Who gives a crap if Leica, as a company, does
> fail and goes out of existence?
>
> I am probably part of the problem here. As I think about it, the last time I
> bought anything new from Leica was two years ago when I bought an eyepiece
> diopter adjuster for my M-3, and I promptly lost it. Before that, I bought my
> R-3 new, and then a 135 mm lens, also new. This was about 17 years ago. Both
> the R3 and 135 mm lens were affordable for me because they had been
> discontinued by Leitz and I got them cheap.
>
> Since then, the only Leica cameras I really care about are the ones I own,
> and I have every expectation that they will stay operable, usable and lovable
> for a very long time.
><Snip>
> Certainly not me. The M3 in my bag will go on, and on, and on.
>
> And this gives me peace.
>
> charlie trentelman
> ogden, utah

Someone who wants to shoot with an M3 and decades old glass is ok with me just
as long as they don't try to tell be the buck stopped there and nothing else matters.
Lot's of pros and serious amateurs like useing M6's with it's latest lenses and
the R8 with it's amazing optics because they feel this is on the forefront of
producing the best images.
You're approach to the whole thing is although you are not a collector,
apparently casual. If you have little respect for what Leica is doing, fine. The
fact is Leica is a company that is doing great things and it would be a shame
for it to stop growing and end.
Mark Rabiner