Subject: Re: [Leica] How to manage a camera company?
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:43:26 -0400

<<FWIW, I'll toss my penny's worth (ain't even worth 2 cents) into the fray

doesn't count.. .

<<A less expensive Leica M seems like a reasonable idea and there is a
precedent for it, isn't there? Wasn't that the idea of the M2?>>

<<Personally, I view Leica M cameras three ways:
1.) As extremely useful tools for documentary photojournalists and others
who
appreciate the particular strengths of a rangefinder camera.
2.) As a status symbol or piece of jewelry for the well-heeled
"sophisticate"
3.) A fine camera chosen by photographers with impecable taste

(I'll leave it up to you to decide which category suits you best)>>>
A combination of 1,3 and a bit of 2.  But also (4) As a system that some get
entirely nuts about and don't leave home without it for any number of
reasons.

<<<Assuming the above characterizations hold any water at all, only the
first
rationale for purchasing a Leica is threatened in any way by lower-cost,
perhaps more modern alternatives (alternatives, mind you, not
competitors).>>

Agreed.  #1 is the #1 threat that is the issue.  If in isolation.  I do find
it difficult to isolate the 3 above.  I'd think they would all result in the
other being the case.  At least #1 and #3.

<<A  "SHOOTER" might very well select a Konica or Minolta or whatever
rangefinder
if the camera offered the right combinations of features and at least
reasonable feel and quality -- especially if it would mount Leica M lenes!

A shooter AS shooter doesn't need a Leica.  Again this is an isolated
abstract notion of a shooter.  But to think of the M6 as "Necessary" is far
from the hard definition of necessary.  What percentage of professionals
(hired, jobs, whatever) use Leica because of #1?  Many.  But again a
professional can be all three just like anyone else, but so what we can
still make statements as such.  Too bad for those stuck in #1!  But what
percentage of 'users' pro, whatever -  use because of #1?  A small fraction.
I can't relate to someone who falls only under #1.  These are the people who
threaten the abandonment of Leica!  The reliance is by a thread; tools done
for jobs.  If only #1, using a Leica comes down to such a simple reason that
variable changes and another camera will do fine. Or "Hypothetically" it
would be fine*   This percentage who are strictly #1 are not infected with
the leicabug I suppose.  I find it strange to think that an M6 is used by
people only for #1.  It's rational!  How many of us have been rational about
Leica!  Or worded more properly, I find it very strange that #1 doesn't then
bring on #2 #3. or #4, 5 or 6.  #1 can be the primary reason but  that's it?

<<<Those who must have a Leica would probably not be swayed.>>>

They would be swayed in terms of Leica being any 'less' Leica - you know
what I mean, or you are #1...  If you are saying that the change in
mechanism, design, ect, there would be some not swayed  but these would be
very few in all groups -  status I think would drop and 'fine' #3 -  would
also be a problem.  To think they'd just jump on the Leica bandwagon
whatever happened - 'less expensive' has the effect of less 'fine' and 'less
status'  I think, not sure.  #2, #3 would be the most resistant I think.
After all these are the majority (i.e. they wouldn't already be so obsessed)
and the alternative has more implications than just using another tool  -
if a person in #1 used some 'different Leica that most would be upset about,
and everyone said his work has improved would he care? "Leica" is not
important - it's the camera that's important to this person.  BTW I'd hate
to think that the definition of "Leica" - what is Leica?  is a dispute.
Otherwise we are truly nuts and the list should shut down immediately.

<<The more the merrier I say. A quality manual focus rangefinder with
interchangeable lenses IS an extremely useful tool -- red dot or otherwise.
I'd like to see some alternatives. I don't particularly care if Leica makes
them.>>

I agree with everything but the last line.  It is possible for Leica to take
all sorts of avenues (which they have...sort of) and still be Leica.  They
can have an M10 or D1 with  whatever in it - that's good, they could make it
good.  Alternatives, or even so called 'copies' or competitive or whatever
are nothing bad - I wouldn't mind seeing Leica coming out with stuff that
left people with mouths dropped- marketwise concerns aside!  The product, if
superior in itself to it's competitors would be fun in the simple sense.
There must however be certain things that are improved but not altered in
this large sense (I CANNOT draw the distinction here! where is the line
between changing improving and becoming different?  I DINT know -  I DO know
that this is the center of all this stuff even though it's so obscure - is
the R8 a Leica!? -  yes but not the R9!  No one wants to seriously answer
these questions ( or seriously assume they are even truly answerable), only
to talk leica which is what is being done.  Is it?   Still, most Leica users
*do* care if it's not a Leica - unless #1, #2, #3 can all be satisfied with
the change - which for many would mean the practical and economical
standards involved would invoke less enthusiasm (already leica people).  If
not clear, yes I am defending the irrational Leica Nut (or maybe just being
defensive). Rational too but not only. 3/2 asph is rational! So is
everything else.  The current Nocti is used "if you need the extra stop(s)"
It's true but then again not a sole reason at all that they are bought or
actually needed.  As for not caring if Leica makes them, then it's
irrelevant to even bring Leica into the situation.  If it's not a Leica,
then alternatives take on a new meaning.  I anticipate thoughts such as
Leica hasn't been Leica for xx years and assembly production stuff and other
pointers at this being nothing new.  It's still an issue that's persistent
with great weight.  It would appear that the alternative desired is just
that a different camera be available as an alternative which would attract
those using Leicas now. But not caring is not a reflection of Leica
interests - but camera needs.  Again, a #1 person, magically a rational pro.

<< I sure would like to see them use the Leica M mount, though. I suspect
even a few folks with impeccable taste might carry around some other brand
M-mount camera for a color camera or other times when the electronics would
come in handy.>>

Yes there would be many.  But "other times"  "come in handy" - which
preserves whatever Leica is to them at the moment.
Some consider the R8 to be a "failure" in the competitive sense.  If that
WERE the essence of the R8 it would be a huge failure for the simple reason
that it's half-ass.  But who said it's supposed to be anything of the sort?
It's not an attempt at being a whole ass?   The marketing certainly
compounds what we think Leica is doing.  I'd like to see an explicit change
is that direction with no "R" or "M" in the name.  Adaptable though, at
least backwards adaptable.  THIS is just thinking!  I'm not proposing
anything that Leica should do.  Just what would be nice to see without
considering the money involved or anything else in reality. I was earlier I
think.

<<Now, the Leica R camera . . . I've never quite figured that one out.>>

I've never figured any of this out.
also the R isn't defined as sturdly as the M making it very difficult to
refer to it within borders, like the M.

Bob (also thinks calling anyone Herr is a little strange) McEowen

herr eno
Na Archive