Subject: Re: [Leica] Future of film
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:38:38 +0200

From: Steve LeHuray <icommag@toad.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 00:03

> ... 20 years ago I was told to embrace video because
> film would be dead in 5 years.

In what domain?  Film is completely dead in the consumer domain, and in some
professional domains, at least with respect to moving pictures.

> But now 16mm, Super16mm Aaton and Arriflex cameras have
> a 3 to 6 month waiting list for a camera package that
> runs about $150,000.

How long is the waiting list for broadcast video cameras and camcorders?

> I was at a press conference a few years where Larry Thorpe,
> VP of Sony HDTV stated that HDTV would NEVER overtake 35mm film.

I hope nobody recorded that statement.  Akio must be spinning in his grave.

> As far as Leica and their survival, I really don't
> know what will happen but it seems to me they have done
> a dreadful job of marketing their very fine product.

I agree.  That is Leica's biggest problem.  Nobody knows they exist.

> And try going to one of the handful of Leica dealers in DC
> and ask for a lens cap and see what happens.

I did that here in Paris, and he went into the back room and brought one out for
me, which I bought for $20.

  -- Anthony