Subject: [Leica] Re: Public vs. private response to list articles
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:28:48 -0700

On 11 Oct 99, Richard J. Wyble wrote, at least in part:

> Who is the list owner/manager? I've again done something stupid, i.e.,
> sent a private e-mail to the list. One common practice is for all
> mailing-list articles to have the Reply-To header set to the address of
> the original poster rather than to the list. If someone will be so kind as
> to identify the owner/manager to me I'll have a conversation with h(im)er
> about it. Thank you!

Well, Richard, you merely go to the welcome message that was
sent to you upon subscribing. That will tell you how to reach the
listowner.

It is far more expeditious to have the Reply-To header set to the
list address since the great majority of folk, when replying to a list
post, wish to post their reply to the list. They want that task to be
as quick and easy as possible. Thus they hit "reply" and away
they go. In the event that you need to direct the reply to the
poster instead of to the list, then you must remember to adjust
the headers accordingly. Mindreading isn't Brian's game.

My most humble opinion... keep it the way it is!

- --
Roger
Mailto:roger@beamon.org