Subject: [Leica] Re: How to mangae a camera company?
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:04:14 -0400

Excellent post Tom.  I will not pretend to have the knowledge to guide Leica Solms or to
be able to advise Herr Cohn  (btw, I like the title Herr especially when applied to a
GERMAN).  I do think that the M6 while representing the end point in the development of
Leica's vision of a rangefinder system does need to be upgraded with an electronic
shutter and higher flash sync speeds.  The R system should be retained but dump the bulky
and UGLY R8 and start over with something more ergonomically pleasing.  I think R lens
prices are hurting R sales.  Really, who has this kind of money? And even if you are
wealthy can you spend these sums in good conscience of lenses if you are not a
professional photographer?  A few choice lenses will cost more than a car or my first
home.  Does anybody have the modular tele system??  Yet this is what is needed for a
photo trip to Africa which I plan to do in the future.  The prices of these lenses
mandates buying a different SLR system to get  more "affordable" long tele lenses. Should
Leica couple their expensive lens with some promotion to get more units sold and
therefore lower the unit cost?  I don' know but I think the current plan is on a
collision course with market realities.

Paul