Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V12 #57
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:27:06 +0200

From: William Davis <wishda@weblnk.net>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 10:04

> Also, a backlash is forming among papers and photographers.
> I am seeing more and more "proudly still using film" tags on
> the end of wanted ads and hearing about top photographers
> who refuse to shoot digital unless absolutely necessary.

This is the best proof that digital is making serious inroads with respect to
film.  When people respond emotionally by wearing buttons or adopting slogans or
stubbornly refusing to do something in a different way just because it is
different, it means that they recognize that times are changing and it frightens
them.  If digital were not a serious threat to film, this wouldn't be
happening--professionals would just laugh at it instead.

Those who resist digital are being unnecessary alarmist.  It will take quite
some time for digital to replace film completely, unless there are some
_serious_ breakthroughs in digital imaging technology to speed the transition.
The main difficulty is in producing CCDs that can provide the same resolution as
film _and_ that allow photographers to use the same lenses to cover the same
visual fields.  A 24x36 CCD is incredibly difficult to manufacture, however, and
so this is holding back digital photography.  A secondary obstacle to the
transition is the huge amount of storage required to hold high-resolution
digital images, but this will probably be resolved over the next few years, as
storage capacities continue to increase.  There aren't any other obstacles.

> Images on digital cameras, even the high-end Kodak and
> Fuji ones do not look the same as their film counterparts
> and many, myself included, argue that they do not look
> as good.

Others argue that they look better.  In the case of images from top-quality
digital cameras, I usually find them equal to or better than film; but in the
case of cheap cameras, they usually look worse.  CCDs have inherent advantages
over film from an imaging standpoint, so it is just a matter of time.  But here
again, the big blocking issue is the need for a 24x36 CCD imaging area that can
seamlessly replace 35mm film.

> Yet the motion picture and advertising industries stayed
> with film.

Video provides poorer resolution than film, and it is more difficult to deal
with in post-production.  It also allows far less flexibility in image
format--the entire production chain must be oriented towards a specific format,
and thereafter cannot be changed without replacing just about everything.
Digital video is changing this, but a great deal of infrastructure changes must
occur first.  It will be a while.

Most motion pictures pass through a computer at some point, though, because
special effects often require computer-generated imaging (or at least CGI is
cheaper and gives better results than optical effects).

> While nothing is inherently wrong with the look of video,
> its different look has come to define cheapness and amateurism.
> I believe digital images will come to be viewed the same way ...

Except that, in the case of still images, it is often impossible to distinguish
between a digital photo and a film photo.  It's a lot easier to see the
difference with moving images.

For what it's worth, there is one enormous danger to digital photography that
virtually none of its opponents or advocates ever seem to consider.  That danger
resides in the fact that manufacturers are closely associating the
digital-imaging CCD with the camera body.  In other words, to replace the CCD,
you have to replace the entire camera body--digital backs are not
interchangeable (whereas 35mm film is completely interchangeable--any film will
work in any camera).  What this means is that, in the digital realm,
photographers may be forced to buy new cameras every 6-18 months, or buy half a
dozen bodies at once, just to have flexibility in the types of digital imaging
that they use.  This risk is so serious that I consider it a good reason to
avoid digital entirely for professional use, unless and until camera
manufacturers clearly demonstrate that they do not intend to lock customers into
buying a completely new camera body every year in order to get a newer CCD.  It
surprises me that nobody sees this coming.  What they don't see may hurt them.

  -- Anthony