Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica point and shoots
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:02:43 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 02:47

> The name Leica is well known IMO.

Nobody I know who isn't a photographer has heard of Leica.  Even some people I
know who enjoy photography as a hobby have not heard of Leica.  The name is not
well known, except to those who are very deeply into photography, or to those
who have been interested in photography for many years.

> And these people are willing to pay a few hundred
> more bucks for it.

They will pay for an M6.  I don't see why they would pay unusually high prices
for a point-and-shoot with the Leica name on it.  In general, if you buy a P&S
camera, one of your reasons for doing so is low cost.  For the same reason, it
would not make sense to build $80 Leica disposable cameras.

> In the realm of high end point and shoots many with
> German sounding stuff on the lenses.

Nowadays, Japanese names have more influence than German names.  Germany is
largely absent from the high end SLR market, and this market drives the industry
to a large extent.

  -- Anthony