Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF/M7
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 21:20:34 -0700

> For starters, I wish Leica had
> a mom-pleasing zoom point-and-shoot. Last camera which really did was
> Olympus's Infinity Twin.

I agree. I think a dual lens P&S is a great idea. I find top end P&Ss (eg
TVS, GR1 etc) very attractive, not so much because of their automation and
ease of use, but because these are smallest instruments capable of making
quality photos. I'd love to see a small dual lens (say 28mm2.8 and 60 f4.5)
top quality P&S. This could be done with mirrors as in the infinity twin or
the lenses could be mounted side by side and the film could be moved a bit
depending on the lens selected. I don't think cash strapped Leica is the
right company to do this. Leica's strength is in making superb optics not
developing electronic cameras.

What I'd like to see from Leica (or another company) is a modern and light
weight CLE. No need for fancy features or Titanium cladding to look
expensive, black plastic is fine. Just a smaller lighter camera on which to
mount Leica lenses. If the rumours are correct the new Hexar will weigh in
close to the M6, but the new Cosina may well be much lighter (but won't take
M lenses unfortunately).

Barnack developed 35mm still cameras because they can be made small and
light weight. This notion seems to have been lost somewhere along the way. I
wonder if the R8 and some of the new R zoom lenses had been designed more
like like the Olympus OM system, if Leica would be in the position it's in.

> ask them to make 'em in metallic purple, olive
> drab and stainless steel finishes. Change the color offerings once,
> maybe twice a year. These cameras *will* stand out in a crowded
> showcase,

I bit silly, but I guess if people are willing to pay for it it's a good
idea. BTW Contax is already doing this in Japan. Check out:
http://www.kyocera.co.jp/news/1999/9910/0004-j.asp