Subject: Re: [Leica] How to manage a camera company?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:48:05 EDT

FWIW, I'll toss my penny's worth (ain't even worth 2 cents) into the fray . .
. .

A less expensive Leica M seems like a reasonable idea and there is a
precedent for it, isn't there? Wasn't that the idea of the M2?

Personally, I view Leica M cameras three ways:
1.) As extremely useful tools for documentary photojournalists and others who
appreciate the particular strengths of a rangefinder camera.
2.) As a status symbol or piece of jewelry for the well-heeled "sophisticate"
3.) A fine camera chosen by photographers with impecable taste

(I'll leave it up to you to decide which category suits you best)

Assuming the above characterizations hold any water at all, only the first
rationale for purchasing a Leica is threatened in any way by lower-cost,
perhaps more modern alternatives (alternatives, mind you, not competitors). A
"SHOOTER" might very well select a Konica or Minolta or whatever rangefinder
if the camera offered the right combinations of features and at least
reasonable feel and quality -- especially if it would mount Leica M lenes!
Those who must have a Leica would probably not be swayed.

The more the merrier I say. A quality manual focus rangefinder with
interchangeable lenses IS an extremely useful tool -- red dot or otherwise.
I'd like to see some alternatives. I don't particularly care if Leica makes
them. I sure would like to see them use the Leica M mount, though. I suspect
even a few folks with impeccable taste might carry around some other brand
M-mount camera for a color camera or other times when the electronics would
come in handy.

Now, the Leica R camera . . . I've never quite figured that one out.

Bob (also thinks calling anyone Herr is a little strange) McEowen