Subject: Re: [Leica] digital printing - scan negs or prints?
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:26:17 +0200

From: Simon Pulman-Jones <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 1999 15:47

> ... I am just interested to find out whether the flat bed only
> option would be a sensible move for the time being ...

If you already have a flatbed scanner, than by all means you can certainly use
it.  It won't give you the same quality of scans that you'd get with a film
scanner, but since you already have the equipment, it is a lot cheaper than
going out and buying something new, if the quality of print scans is enough for
you.

> ... allowing me to wait for the next generation of film
> scanners ...

The current generation of film scanners will already blow away any flatbed scans
of prints.

> Or will I really be missing out on image quality by using
> print rather than film scans?

You will really be missing out.  However, if your budget is limited or you just
don't want to invest in more equipment at the moment, then obviously you can
scan prints.  You can always rescan directly from film at a later date, if you
wish (I assume you have the original negatives or transparencies, right?).

  -- Anthony