Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film: Ilford vs. TMax
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:16:30 EDT

Tim:

I concur with your results completely.  I have never been able to get
satisfactory results with TMax/TMax developer.  I use at least 25 rolls of
Delta each month and around 20% is Delta 100, 30% Delta 400 and 50% Delta
3200 exposed at ISO 1250.   All is developed in Xtol.   I gave Ilford's new
DDX a test on about a dozen rolls but was not pleased.  However, it did
maintain Delta 3200's speed better than Xtol but at the expense of courser
grain structure.

Bob Bedwell

<< Not exactly a rigorous test, but I shot a lot of B&W in Central America
 earlier this year. I shot both T Max 400 and Delta 400 (don't ask why the
 mix - deals on film!).

 Most was shot at 800. Developed in Xtol. And working with the negs, both
 traditionally, in the darkroom and digitally, the Ilford beats the pants off
 the Kodak. Now some people may say I should have used T Max developer for
 the TMax. But I have never found it that great (actually, D76 is supposed to
 be one of the best for TMax). But comparing other negs that were developed
 with this, the Ilford still wins.

 Overall, slightly sharper, better contrast and just an overall better
 looking image.

 As I say, not a scientific test, but for me, one that counts - in the end,
 which image looks better. For me, with this work, it is the Ilford.

 Tim A >>