Subject: Re: [Leica] digital printing - scan negs or prints?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:55:01 -0700

Simon Pulman-Jones wrote:

> I have eagerly followed the recent discussions about digital printing and
> the latest Epson printers as I am about to take an oft planned, oft delayed
> plunge into setting up a digital darkroom.  One of the excellent links
> provided by Tina:
>
> http://www.photo-snowdonia.freeserve.co.uk/link16.htm
>
> contains an article which argues that for printing at maximum A3 size of
> the Epson 1200 it is better to scan from a 6 x 4 inch or 7 x 5 inch print
> than to use a 2700 dpi 35mm film scanner.  This made me wonder whether I
> should change my priorities when trying to juggle my digital darkroom
> budget between scanner, printer, and upgrading my PC and monitor.  Maybe at
> this stage it would be better for me to use a (relatively cheap) flat bed
> to scan prints and forget about trying to decide between 2700 dpi or 4000
> dpi film scanners.
>
> Can anybody advise me on this?  What are the quality considerations between
> scanning prints and negs/trans?  I was surprised when I saw the article
> arguing in favour of using 7x5 inch print scans for A3 inkjet prints
> because I had assumed that the dynamic range from a print scan would be
> significantly inferior to a film scan.
>
> Simon,
> London.

I would think the dynamic range would be inferior. The advise would have more
credibility if they advised making and 7x5 inch enlarged film positives to scan
instead of a paper print. I am just now working from scans from film and I find
it much nicer and like real digital darkroom work than my previous scans from prints.
Mark Rabiner