Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera reliability
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 20:43:51 +1000

Nicholas Ragovis wrote:

> What, the Nikon F wasn't reliable enough for you?  Cameras dropping from
> helicopters and still working not impressive enough?  Didn't the Japanese
> sort of define their cameras with reliability?  Isn't that how they managed
> to step out of the "Made in Japan" means junk stereotype of the 1950s?  If
> anything, Leicas are not known as the world's most trouble free cameras....
> especially the R8.

Nicholas,

you must have missed the comment:" The Pentax Spotmatic days are over".
By this, I meant the whole era around this camera. This includes of course the
Nikon-F battleship. It would also include Mamyas, Ricos and a few other makes
around the same time.

Also I said: "At first it was called Japanese crap. Then it was called Taiwanese
crap" and so on. Inferring, that the japanese products  where now considered a
quality product.

I never said that the Leica R8 was the most reliable camera ever. I don't really
no if it is or if not. I was in during the whole post referring to the M6 and
other M models

Regards, Horst schmidt