Subject: Re: [Leica] noct performance
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 06:24:43 -0700

Joel wrote
>To be exact, the Canon 50mm opens up to f/0.95.....the Noctilux is longer
>while the Canon is a bit wider...the Canon is no longer in production...>>>>>

Hi Joel,

I believe you are talking about two different lenses. The lens you're
refering to 0.95 is long out of production. But in the movie "Tom Jones"
one was adapted to fit a movie camera and all the available light candle
lit scenes were shot using this lens. It was quite dramatic looking that
only available light and a lens of this wide aperture could have created he
intimate feelings.

Then there is the current Canon 50 f.1.0 available for the EOS. I
understand it costs considerably more than the Noctilux.

Browsing the local used camera shop here in Victoria one day, in the
display case was a mint 0.95 on a Canon body of similar condition. all for
the tidy sum of $800.00 Canadian!

Not too bright most of the time, did I buy it immediately?  No! I told the
shop keeper I'd think about it overnight and call in the morning.  I
returned to get it, unfortunately he informed me an American tourist bought
it 5 minutes after I had walked out the door the previous day.

So life goes on and I've looked in used shops ever since, but alas not to
find another. :(

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant