Subject: Re: [Leica] leica, don't fail me now! -- oh dang!
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:16:02 +0200

From: A.H.SCHMIDT <horsts@primus.com.au>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 07:30

> Most shots showed very little camera shake. I then decided,
> that Flash was not for me.

I hate using flash.  For one thing, it's too easy to mess up--you add lots of
variables with flash, and getting a correct exposure is more problematic.
However, the main reason why I can't stand flash is aesthetic.  It just looks
really bad (unless it is done very carefully, and set up in advance).

In most situations, if you use flash at all, it's an on-camera flash.  Your
subject looks kind of washed out and brightly lit against a completely dark
background.  It has an artificial look to it (because it _is_ artificial) and it
isolates the subject from the real world.  You can get around this by moving the
flash or using multiple flashes, but that isn't something you can do quickly and
easily.

Another problem with flash is that it isn't really that useful.  If your subject
is more than a very short distance away, or is not right in the center of the
frame, a flash isn't going to help much.

The only way I see to get realistic and attractive photos is to use available
light.  Even a handheld shot with a bit of camera movement in available light
can still look a lot better than a shot on a tripod taken with a flash.  At
least it looks like it did in real life, instead of that deer-in-headlights look
that flash usually produces.

I have flash units for my Nikons, but they never get used.  I don't have a flash
for the Leica, and I don't foresee getting one.  If I need to shoot in low
light, it'll be fast film, maybe a Noctilux, and, if worse comes to worst, a
tripod.  But I hate flash.

> Whenever I have to use flash, then for me, the quality does
> not matter. The final prints are either for research purposes
> or some shots about the extended family at a party where
> everyone wants to be in the picture.

Exactly.  Flash is for documentation purposes.

  -- Anthony