Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Digital prints
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 00:32:59 +0200

From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 23:07
Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital prints

> It is my personal opinion (IMHO as well) that what you
> get from a digitized negative (or positive), photoshopped,
> and outputted on virtually ANY digital output device, will
> always pale in comparison to a masterfully made
> silver print.

There's no such thing as a "digital output device."  All output devices are
analog.  You can output digital images directly to silver prints, if you wish.

The fact that an image is manipulated in the digital realm is unrelated to the
way in which it gets printed.

> There is a dynamic depth and richness to a good silver print
> (Cibachrome, Monochrome, or whatever), that just cannot be
> obtained by splattering ink onto the surface of some paper.

Hmm... maybe.  But that is completely independent of whether or not the image is
digital.

  -- Anthony