Subject: Re: [Leica] Travel Photography Made Easy
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 18:30:39 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:
SNIP
> In the camera bag outside end pouches I place one "rubbermaid" clear
> plastic one sandwich container, Each holds 18 rolls comfortably, not in
> cannisters! Have these in hand before you get to the conveyor belt. Put
> them aside for a hand inspection, the inspectors can then see it's film.
> The dumb ones still take the lid off and feel each roll!

SNIP

> It has worked for me for more flights than I remember. But even with all
> this film carrying preparation, there are countries where clear and simple
> see through backs don't matter a whit........."Sorry mate, it goes through
> the carry on scanner!"  And no amount of whining, begging, grovelling will
> make one iota of a difference.
>
> Put the film on the belt with a "Hail Mary, Allah or whomever" blessing and
> keep you fingers crossed.
>
> ted

My variation on this is to tape TMax 3200 labels on each of my
Rubbermaid containers and then make sure I carry a few rolls of this
film in each container. Since the box says "Do Not X-Ray" on it this
helps validate hand inspection. Also, most of the security people are
trained to say that it doesn't harm normal speed films, only high speed
films. Therefore, this alerts them that you do indeed have high-speed
film so they just switch their mental programming and inspect by hand.
Selah! Simple.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/