Subject: Re: [Leica] film and traveling
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 13:21:18 -0700

RP Johnson wrote:

> I confess that I am as guilty of this as many others, in that I lug (nice
> touch, eh?) large quantities of film to Europe when I travel there.  Perhaps
> I never really questioned this since the common wisdom is that US travelers
> should take unexposed film to Europe and exposed, but undeveloped film, back
> to the US.
>
> But why?

Often the problem is supply and comfort and security.  I live in a city of 3
million and there isn't a store in town where I can be assured of walking in and
walking out with 120 rolls of one kind of film.  I always have to order in
advance.  (It just took a week to get 2 100 foot rolls of E100-and that is
Kodak's new delivery speed).  And I can test a roll or two if necessary.  And I
don't have to waste half a day somewhere finding film.

Two weeks ago I had to do some portraits and I had to call 5 stores to find 10
rolls of E100s with the same lot number.  I know I should order 1,000 rolls at a
time and have a dedicated refrigerator, but.....

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego