Subject: Re: [Leica] How much difference is there....really
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:46:27 +0200

From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 16:10

> Yeah, and a kick in the head is better than being shot.
> Do you do photography to please the least common denominator?

Just because they aren't Photographers doesn't make them the "least common
denominator."

One of my favorite feedback messages came from a visitor to the site who was
paralyzed and incapable of travelling anywhere.  She told me that her visit to
my photo gallery had been the best "virtual tour" of a city that she had ever
had.  I was very happy to hear her say that.  However, maybe I should have told
her that her opinion didn't count, since she wasn't a Real Photographer.  She's
just part of the least common denominator, right?

And then there are all those schoolchildren who sent me little notes asking if
they can please use my pictures for this report or that report.  I suppose I
should advise them that they are part of the least common denominator, too.

So many common people looking at the site!  Don't they realize how unimportant
their opinions are?

> Or do you do it to please yourself. The latter justifies using
> Leica, the former you might as well stick with your Coolpix.

Actually, pictures taken with the Leica or with my AF-S 28-70 and properly
scanned do look a bit better than the Coolpix shots, even at the small sizes I
use on my Web site.  The difference is not enough to justify the investment in
the equipment in itself, of course.  I actually use film and Nikons and Leicas
to take many of the pictures just because I like to use Nikons and Leicas.

> And if you don't have an alternative on your site, how can
> they choose? You give them one choice.

An alternative to what?  Nobody has asked for any alternatives, that I can
recall, although some have asked if I could put up pictures of other places (not
likely, though, since I hate to travel).

  -- Anthony