Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip to the vet & leica photos
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:13:11 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/99 8:04:47 AM, derek.folmer@rtit.com writes:

>The colours up in the Laurentians were pretty good last weekend. Hope some
>of the pics I took come out. I wish I had a waterproof box and the guts
>take the M3 whitewater paddling with me --- I was on the Rouge river last
>weekend with a group of canoeists in red boats - it would have made
>spectacular photos - the yellow/orange/red trees, the whitewater action,
>partly sunny day that turned drizzly.

Oh, I wouldn't dream of taking the Leica on the river. Here in Missouri we do
"float trips" -- lazily drifting a canoe down a spring-fed Ozark stream.
Although the pace is slow and easy there are occasional fast runs through the
riffles and turns. Also there are snags and rootwads that can tip you over
faster than you can say "Oh S***!" Some folks actually like to tip -- I
don't, having done much of my floating with overnight camping gear in the
canoe. Anyway, the rule is don't take anything you aren't prepared to lose to
the river. The camping gear will dry out. The cameras won't.

When I float I take a waterproof point and shoot -- a Canon WP-1 I think it
is. It takes nice pictures and I have no worries about it getting wet. I even
take it swimming. Years ago I tried a Nikonos but the little Canon is much
more convenient and really the image quality is at least as good. I have
occasionally carried old Nikon gear along in a waterproof box (primarily for
the long lenses) but I'm not about to take a Leica.

Bob (Float your boat 'cause your Leica won't) McEowen