From: Simon Pulman-Jones <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:01:49 -0000

Alexander wrote:

>Hello LUG.
>I have communicated with Brian.
>We have the green light for the creation of the new LeicaSLR list.

Though I recognise the enthusiasm and enterprise of Alexander in wanting to
set up a separate list I, for one, would regret it if this list were to
lose its R users.  It would be the worst thing that could happen as a
result of the recent list soul searching. M and R Leicas share so much in
their common optical heritage (not to mention the fact that there are
current lenses of identical optical design).

Today I received in the post second and third copies of Ted's book.  There
could be no more eloquent a statement of the unity of M and R Leicas - Ted
used both in making the book.  The quality of the photography means that
the very last thing that comes to mind when looking at the pictures is
whether they are made by M or R, yet from the word go you are aware that
you are looking at pictures which are strongly influenced by the
capabilities of Leica optics.

I don't think you could really say whether Ted is an M or an R user - I
would certainly regret it if the LUG was deprived of a portion of the
contributions of its most talented and experienced members.  I suppose I
would probably subscribe to the new list if it gains momentum, but wouldn't
be very happy if that meant a duplication of the list noise factor.  But
what would be most disappointing would be if the loss of R users from the
LUG resulted in a dilution of the discussions here.

Simon,
London.