Subject: RE: [Leica] Epson paper/ink question
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:22:19 -0000

Paul - I can only provide a bit of guidance in terms of black and white,
which is what I print almost exclusively.

In terms of a "traditional" photo look, thus far I've found the new Epson
Photo Paper to be the best bet. It's reportedly far more stable than the
earlier versions, and should resist fading for several years at least.

I'm also using hot pressed water color paper - lanaquarelle santine 300g/m2,
140 lbs, 100% cotton, which I buy at an art supply store for $22.95 for a
block of 20 9x12 sheets. It also comes in 4x6 blocks, by the way. I've also
been working with the Aquarelle Arches, also hot pressed, satine, 140 lbs,
etc. etc...Both produce wonderful black and white prints just using the
Epson black ink. I have yet to try to gray scale inks or the archival inks.

The only think to note with the water color paper is that these do not look
like traditional silver prints. They have a look all their own, which, I
find, most people who see them seem to like. But you have to go into this
knowing that what you're producing is a different "art form," if you will.
You're using traditional photo negatives to produce digital prints on water
color paper. Period. They look great, but a traditionalist reeking of fixer
is going to turn up what's left of his nose at them...On the other hand,
most folks out there have never seen a quality black and white print, much
less know how to compare them to anything.

Good luck

B. D.