Subject: Re: [Leica] How much difference is there....really
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 08:59:43 -0500

At 11:29 AM 10/5/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>What happens when the original photographers die without ever documenting the
>circumstances of their greatest photos?

Herein lies the problem, Anthony. Just because you don't read it, doesn't
mean it isn't. These pictures are well documented, and I would think Paris
has a library (they do have public libraries in France, no?) that has
scores of books on the topic of photography. When I first fell in love with
photography back in '78 I spent many, many hours in the library learning
everything I could about photography, which allows me to babble on for
hours and thousands of messages on the Internet with a semblance of
authority over 20 years later!

:-)

I would also, seriously, suggest that some photography history books in
your home library will bring you many hours of reading enjoyment, and on
top of that, might cause you to get more interested in doing serious
documentary work, rather than the cursory type you seem to be satisfied
doing. I would start with some books on Paris photographers. Andre Kertesz,
Cartier-Bresson, Brassai, and the guy who Bernice Abbot saved from
obscurity Eugène Atget who documented Paris back around the turn of the
century, something you especially should relate to. And many, many others.
Paris is home to many of the greatest artists and photographers. I would
think there would be a rich source of information the likes few cities in
the world have.

So while running around Paris, get a few books, and one on the history of
photojournalism. You will see these pictures are well documented. Very few
icons of photojournalism's past have such rumors about it that weren't
started by people who are either jealous of the power of photography, or
just want to start rumors. And people who can't make great photos of their
own, so they'd rather tear someone else down than admire their good fortune
and skill.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Bumper Sticker: "Horn doesn't work; Watch for finger"