Subject: Re: [Leica] How much difference is there....really
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:25:13 +0200

From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 05:30

> But you are right, resolution is hardly the only issue,
> yet it keeps people thinking that there is no advantage
> to Leica lenses other than sharpness and "local contrast,"
> or micro contrast.

My Leica lenses have a distinctive "you are there" look (the only way I can
describe it) that almost none of my other lenses provide.  The only exception is
my AF-S Nikkor zoom, which also has that 3-D, real-world look to it.  The Leica
lenses have better resolution than the AF-S zoom, but both are so sharp that it
usually doesn't matter (they both beat my scanner, and my scanner provides
resolution high enough for posters).  Other than the AF-S zoom, my other Nikon
lenses are definitely worse, although they look nice as long as you don't
compare them to the AF-S or the Leica glass.  And in fact the newer AF Nikkors
are better than the old Series E lenses I have from way back, and the Series E
looked nice when I got them.  And they are nice, compared to the cheapo lenses
on digital and P&S cameras (except perhaps the Yashica T5).

> You actually have to get out and USE Leica lenses in
> nasty conditions, with fast film, and see how it handles
> lighting that lesser lenses don't handle as well.

Come to think of it, I have yet to see any signs of flare or other problems in
my Summicron.  I guess you don't notice it when it's not there--you only see it
when it is present, and then you think "rats, look at that flare!"  I've shot a
fair number of pictures with the sun practically streaming into the lens and I
still see no signs of internal reflections or anything like that (even with the
UV filter on).  I'm looking at one such photo in Photoshop right now that looks
beautiful--and I'm happy to say that it was also perfectly exposed, despite the
harsh lighting conditions.  (I am getting better!)

  -- Anthony