Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Film Catching
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 03:56:04 +0200

From: Jerald Rosenfeld <rosenfeld@mpdr0.detroit.mi.ameritech.net>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 00:11
Subject: [Leica] M6 Film Catching

> I am having a difficult time getting the film to
> "catch" during the initial threading.I have wasted
> a few rolls of film with out taking a picture.

Hmm.  I'm new to the M6, too, but I've been surprised at how reliable the hokey
film-loading mechanism is.

Two things I've noticed:  (1) Often the film coming out of the cartridge will
have a crink in it where the lips of the cartridge bent the film--you have to
make sure that this crink is smooth enough to allow the film to seat properly in
the film gate or the film won't advance--if you have trouble getting the base
plate to slide back on, this is probably the problem; and (2) always watch the
rewind knob to make sure it turns when you first advance the film.  It should
start to move on the very first advance of the film advance lever after closing
the camera--if not, danger lurks ahead!

The only times I've had the camera not load successfully have been due to the
film crinking I described above.

  -- Anthony