Subject: [Leica] Iris on a lovely day
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:27:04 +1000

XXXXXXXXXXX
Alastair writes:

>I told you guys I'd go out with the Leica and take tulips. Well I did, but
>the best shot was this iris, which you can see at the Rollei TLR club at
>this address:
Gerry responds:
Am I getting confused here - you go out with the Leica to photograph tulips,
end up with an Iris and then post it on the Rollei board or is it you?
XXXXXXXXXXX

Gerry,

Yes, of course you are confused, but everything you say is correct. I did
go out to take tulips, but some how this image of the iris [which I took to
symbolize the cross] ended up being the best of the bunch. Yes I did use a
leica --- I after all, wanted to introduce some images to this group after
the recent discussions, and yes it is on the Rollei board, on a section
dedicated to a cross section of images using any and all cameras, run by my
friend Satoshi Oka. My image of the River Red Gum was taken with Hasselblad
and neutral density filters [that I picked up cheap ;-) ]

I've been taking flowers now for a couple of years with the aim of
improving my compositional eye. Apart from the images being very lovely
[Helen uses them on cards so that they do not all go to waste], they have
allowed me to play around with placing images in the frame and the effect
that they have on me. I think my next home page update will be a range of
these images and the effects I was trying to achieve. The iris seemed like
a cross, with its leaf on the left [with the little browned tip] reminding
me of an upheld arm. I was hoping to emphasise the vertical and oblique
elements [in focus] with the horizontal elements of the birch leaves and
the brick wall behind, without allowing them to dominate. Therefore the
shallow DOF [and ni-bokeh ;-) ] The splash of colour is a bonus, though it
works in b/w as well, but I did not want to have the colour shouting at
you, so I had to wait for the clouds to hide the sun and dull the image a
bit, to give the soft effect I wanted to create a "religious" feel.

http://cgi.linkclub.or.jp/~dmakos/imgsquare/index.cgi?

OK so you may not agree with any of this, and yes I may well be a large
wanker, but this is what I was setting out to do with this image, and I
would love to hear if any of you think ANY of it worked ;-)

cheers

Alastair Firkin