Subject: Re: [Leica] has the LUG a future? - long
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:59:53 +0100

Hi Erwin & all!
I think that you are probably right in what concerns the main issue but you
are too pessimistic. I have been a subscriber for only about 18 months or
so but there have always been interesting off-topic conversations going on
- - e.g. the single-malt - and also some extremely boring - like the Iwo Jima
- - but in the end also the interest is in the eye of the beholder.
As to the Leica content of this list - yes it must be substantial. But
hopefully there will always be newbies coming to the list asking newbie
qustions and so it is absolutely neccessary that we also have a core
membership of people well versed in Leica lore - history and technology. As
I have been away for some days I do not know what has happened and whether
we still have this core - you are here so all is not lost anyway.
Yes, evrerybody can ask a Leica question and eventually get the correct
answer (and some other answers, too) I have always had the opinion that the
LUG is of limited value to oldtimers like myself but it has been an amusing
pastime.
BTW I do consider the Cosina/Voigländer discussion to be on topic because
it deals with A Thing that can mean life or death to Leica. I think that
the result will be more life because from the year 1931 Leica has had a
standardised lens mount for interchangeable lenses and in the past there
were a lot of those from many different manufacturers. And the idea of
interchangeable lenses is that - well, they can de interchanged.
In the Pentax Users Group the discussion at one time was the other way
round: why there were not many lenses from independent manufacturers for
Pentax. It was the time when Pentax was not selling well and when the sales
improved so did the availability of independent lenses. Is there something
that we can learn from this?
BTW fearing theft I did not take my Leica kit to Russia but instead my
trusty 18 year old Pentax LX and the 3.5/35-105mm. Not Leica quality but
not far away. As for security, there was actually no reason to worry in a
small town like Novgorod.
All the best!
Raimo
Photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen