Subject: Re: [Leica] So much for superiority of Leica lenses?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 15:38:10 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/99 7:20:24 PM, nathan.wajsman@euronet.be writes:

<< FWIW, Minolta has just come out with a 35mm f1.4 lens for its SLRs which
Amateur
Photographer (UK) raves about in last week's issue. The list price is 1200
GBP,
close to $2000. I realize that this particular discussion is about bodies, not
lenses, but this pricing seems to corroborate the statement that  Leica
quality
will cost Leica $$$ no matter who produces it. >>

I'm not envisioning f1.4 wideangle lenses in my dream poor-man's rangefinder.
Look at the Contax line as a model. I'm not that familar with the camera and
lenses but the prices sure are reasonable. The Zeiss Planar 35mm f 2.0 for
the Contax AF "rangefinder" sells for less than $400. Even the 21mm Biogon is
only $1,100. A G1 body with a lens is only $1,000. Those are VERY affordable
prices. If they had a manual focus body in the line they'd really have
something to offer, me thinks.

Bob (if you build it they will come) McEowen