Subject: [Leica] was, Canada, now humanity
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 10:47:20 -0200

At 09:15 PM 01/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Although  I have always enjoyed traveling in Canada, and like Canadians, I
>realize that they love to hate the US.  It is odd that I meet so many of
>them who live in my country. Why can't the comedians, actors, engineers,...
>make a living in the Mother Country?  Why move  to a country that one hates?
>I don't get this.

 The market in Canada is too small.  Not enough people.  Simple economics.
... and don't forget greed. That is the MAJOR influence in all economic theory.

>Also, Canada seems  less likely to take an active roll in world conflicts.

Canada supplies UN peace keeping troops (usually before anyone else) to
every major (and minor) conflict in the world....

East Timor
Kosovo
Rwanda
Central African Republic
Bosnia
Croatia
Cambodia
Macedonia
Somalia
Cyprus..... that is just the current one's...

...and Haiti. If fact, the Canadian military, single handedly financed and
supported the UN mission in Haiti, at one point, when NO ONE else would.

Canadian government aid agencies and NGO's have missions all over the world,
not just conflict zones. Canada is very much involved in international
affairs, they just do it in less overt manner and usually through
contributing the United Nations and other international agencies.

There is more to foreign affairs then supplying guns and money and their is
more to understanding foreign affairs then seeing it in political or
"donation" terms.
The objective of a proper and successful aid program is to establish
programs and educate people so that they can help themselves. Help them
build infrastructure and teach them how to use it.

Many countries and aid agencies have discovered that by doing this they can
work directly with people in their communities and bypass much of the
"government" corruption and interference.

Aid workers are the new "troops" in international affairs. Western
governments have learned that it is both politically and economically
advantageous to "pay" NGO's to do this work then directly contribute
manpower and funds to foreign countries and conflicts.  It's much better to
give the money to the ICRC, CARE, UN, MSF .... whatever, to do the work then
do it themselves.

Sorry Kevin, you happened to have hit on my area of expertise as a
journalist and anthropologist.

> Also, why should so many of my relatives and friends have risked or given
>their lives to protect so many thankless people of the world. I promise that
>the next time Europe, Africa, Central America, Asia, or the Middle East
>decides to self destruct, and they routinely do,  I will voice my opinion
>that they can kill anyone but my people. Screw em'.  I do not want anyone
>else in my family having to fight some other  region's worthless conflicts.

The USA has traditionally been an "isolationist" state (until WWII) and your
feelings are the norm in the USA... and that is fine.  The USA is capable of
doing just fine on its own.  But, in Europe, Africa, Asia, etc countries
live in very close proximity and what is going on with their neighbours is
very important because it is so close to home.

Canada is unique because socially and culturally were are split between
modern US culture and our historical European ties. Western Canada and
Toronto have a lot in common with American social counterparts. Eastern
Canada, Newfoundland and Quebec have a 500 year old history with social
structures and cultural ties closer to our European history.

This means we care about our neighbours (local or international) because we
believe that what goes on "there" does effect us and how we react to it, is
a judgement of our civilization and humanity.

It's the concept of, "we are our brothers keeper", and "...do unto others.."

The measure of human advancement and civilization is how we treat the less
advantaged and dispossessed among us. This applies to the food bank in your
neighbourhood, the state prison or refugees in some far off country we
couldn't find on a map.

How you treat a fellow human being is the indicator of how much of a human
being you are.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Leica other then many photojournalists
have risked their lives to document the "human condition" because they
understood that it was important to point this out to those among us who
choose to bury their heads in the sand and ignore our responsibilities and
humans.

cheers all,

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
http://www.straylight.ca/locke
TOUCHED BY FIRE: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm