Subject: [Leica] An attempt to change the subject to a Leica subject
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 23:41:56 EDT

Well, since some folks seem to be tired of discussing America's friendly
neighbors to the north and the peculiar legal system here in the U.S. I
thought I would give you a Leica report -- as preliminary and uneventful as
it is . . .

I've been running some T-Max 400 through my new used M4-p with both the 35
Summicron and 24mm. Mostly I've been shooting activities at work -- I work
for an association of electric cooperatives and part of my job is documenting
what goes on around the place. I've shot a couple of meetings, a fella at
work in our print shop and a electric lineman's training class. I've also
shot some photos of my son. I can't say I've made any stunning photos yet --
certainly nothing I care to show off here just yet -- but I am
re-familarizing myself with rangefinder focusing. I'm heading out on a story
shoot for the publication on Monday but I'm not sure how much I'm going to
use the Leica. I'm still a little ill at ease with it so I may not rely on it
too much.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm paying a whole lot more attention to depth
of field -- at least in the sense that I've been checking the near focus of a
the subject area and the far focus and using the depth of field scale to sort
of zone focus. I guess this is something I do with the depth of field preview
on the SLR but it's been more of a conscious thing with the rangefinder.

I've also noticed how loud my Nikons seem. The non-motored FE2 seems even
louder than the F4.

I've souped some film and made a couple of prints from the 35mm lens. I
haven't printed anything from the 24mm yet but the first negative look really
good. The first stuff from the 24mm that I souped was just sort of shake-down
cruise stuff. I shot some more interesting photos today with the lens but
haven't souped it yet.

I'm pleased to see that my focus and exposure success rate is very high --
perhaps even higher than with the SLR on the focus front (I've been having
some problem with that lately -- need to check the eyeglass prescription, you
know). I have been metering very little actually but I've been shooting in
situations where I'm pretty comfortable with the lighting so I haven't really
had to worry about it much.

Film loading has been a breeze. That much I hadn't forgotten from my last
Leica, 12 years ago.

Anyway, I've been sort of doing a little reintroduction, getting to know the
camera again. I never really felt at one with the Leica I owned before so I
feel like it's almost starting fresh. So far, it's going pretty well, though.
I'll keep you posted.

Bob (I'd rather talk about Leicas than Canadians) McEowen