Subject: Re: [Leica] Loupe
From: chefurka@sympatico.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 00:39:47 GMT

In a message dated 9/30/99 7:26:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
drpuritz@li.net  writes:

>Would really appreciate some feed back and advice concerning the loupe
>that other Luggers use to review their slides and contacts.  Specifically,
>what do you use, what magnification do you suggest, and is an aspheric
>loupe notably better?

I use a really crappy Peak 8x because I don't shoot slides.  However,
my buddy who shoots nothing but just got himself a 6x Rodenstock
Aspheric.  It replaced a 5.5x Pentax.

When I compared them, the Rodenstock was a whole lot better - the
Pentax suffered from serious pincushion distortion, which made long
editing sessions a chore.  The Rodenstock was pretty linear, and
contrastier as well.  It was a whole different animal.

I don't know if aspheric technology makes the difference, but just as
in camera lenses it may make it easier to design a top-class optic at
an affordable price.  From what I saw on his light table, a Rodenstock
(or Schneider) 6x asph would make most people perfectly happy.

Paul Chefurka