Subject: [Leica] R8 v R7
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 10:18:21 +1000

> However, R7s are nigh impossible to purchase. Opinions
> please,  as to optimal path: a.) Buy an R8; get it over with!
> b.) Locate a new/"good" used R7; any ideas?  c.) Do nothing
> &  just get on with my photography. Two camera bodies are
> more than enough ;-)!

I have both these cameras and I bought the R7 new, after purchasing the
R8 (also new). I went for the R7, because it's a bit more pocketable.
I've never placed them on the scales and forgot what the specs say, but
I doubt the R8 is *significantly* heavier. It's just bulgier. The R8 is
beyond a doubt in my mind the better camera, though.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Thomas,

Just to add to the bandwidth, I too would probably punt for the R8. The joy
of Leica is in part their tendency to make you do the work, and yet they
are easy to work with. The R8 is simply the best "manual" SLR camera I've
used. It likes being in manual mode, the controls are easy to reach
intuitive in nature and its only real flaw has been its winder/motor
problems. In reality, that may emphasise that the camera should be manual,
including manual winding. I repeat again, if I had not bought the winder,
I'd have never had a problem with my R8, and I'd have been raving about it.

The R7 is also a good camera, and your one will now make a very fine back
up for the two workhorses.

Cheers

Oh I nearly forgot to add that by having the same equipment for most of
your work, you will work better with your equipment. I think you will
understand what I mean, and I have to admit to being tired of Parisan
weather reports ;-) though its funny how these meaningless threads still
bring out interesting stories from interesting people. My tendency [living
in Australia] has always been to wait for a clear day, but when we were
visiting "pommie-land" [used as a term of endearment] in 85 our good friend
Stephanie suddenly got out of her chair and announced it was time to go for
a walk. 'Walk?' I said, firmly planted in front of the fire, 'its raining'.
She donned appropriate gear and said, "when you live here you either walk
in the rain or never walk". We had one of the most enjoyable walks I've
ever taken. Got a bit wet, but I'm dry now ;-)

Now I'd hate you to miss out on our weather, so just to keep you all up to
date, its perfect today, so I'm off to photograph tulips ;-)

cheers

Alastair Firkin