Subject: [Leica] Helios viewfinder - the concept is willing but the frames are weak
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:25:23 -0000

A new pattern of bright-line viewfinder has appeared on the market
here in the UK. Called the Helios, this Japanese-made finder has been
designed for use with Fed and Zorki rangefinder cameras and displays
the fields of the three most common  Russian-cloned Zeiss lenses -
35mm, 85mm and 135mm. It looks like a black version of the 50mm SBOOI
finder, with a metal and plastic body and a plastic foot. UK price is
13 pounds (around $20), though I’ve seen them at camera fairs for as
little as five pounds ($8).

Unfortunately, it’s not very good. The bright-line frames are very
weak, and even weaker if you wear glasses. To make matters worse, with
glasses I find it impossible to see the entire 35mm frame.

If there is a special hell for incompetent designers of viewfinders
who have ignored the fact that large numbers of people wear
eyeglasses, the designer of this little device should be guaranteed
lots of company  (including the guys who developed the M6 finder).

As the Leicaflex and Leitz 50mm SBOOI demonstrate, it IS possible to
design a finder whose entire frame can be seen by spectacle wearers.

Regards,

Doug Richardson