Subject: [Leica] Provia F vs Velvia revisited
From: "Gary D. Whalen" <whalen@circle.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 07:07:32 -0400

   I just spent a day doing some side-by-side comparisons of  Provia
100F vs Leica while shooting the early fall color in Asheville, NC (my
hometown).

    My slides show me the following:

    1.  Velvia is certainly richer in color by approximately 20%.
Greens are about the same, pinks are a little more subdued with Provia,
reds are a little less vibrant, blues a little more realistic, whites
are brighter than the prior version and shadows show more detail than
Velvia.
    2.  Provia F and Velvia are about the same with grain.  Wonderful
    3.  Contrast as could be expected is less with Provia.

    I did not shoot any people but will give that a try this weekend
when I shoot a wedding.

    All-in-all I would say that I will still shoot Velvia when I can but
will be much less hesitant to move up to Provia F when I need that extra
speed.