Subject: Re: [Leica] Another comparison, more realistic this time
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:03:06 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 1999 03:43

> I set up a tripod and shoot the same view or views
> and replace cameras or lenses so I can make a real
> comparison the only variable being the lenses.

This isn't just a lens comparison; it's a whole-camera comparison.  After all,
the whole camera is what produces the picture, not just the lens.

I don't normally use a tripod, so I didn't use one here.  If one camera shakes
more than the other, that is, after all, an important factor in real-world use.

Similarly, I used full-auto on the Nikon (as I normally would) and did not tweak
exposure, whereas everything on the Leica was necessarily manual.  Here again,
that's the way it is for real-world shots.

> If one is an SLR and one a rangefinder I definitely lock up
> the mirror on the SLR; there is a huge difference in not having
> mirror vibration being another variable.

Yes, but in everyday photography, you don't lock up the mirror.

> And hopefully you are going with naked glass ...

Nope.  A Leica UV filter on the Summicron, a B+W filter on the Nikkor.  That's
how I normally use them.

> ... both lenes had their lens shades in use.

Both lenses had their hoods on (the ones provided by Leica and Nikon with the
lenses).

> It's awfully fun to be able to REALLY see the differences
> between lenses and not just wonder how many other variables
> are throwing off a real comparison.

But it's also fun to see comparisons in something approaching a real-life
situation, because that's where real-life photos get made.  Test-bench results
are easy to find.

  -- Anthony