Subject: Re: [Leica] New LTM Lenses
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:39:01 EDT

 The appearance of the modern Summicron 35/2 and the two 50's in screwmount
were requested by Lemon CO in Tokyo. The initial order was for approximately
350 of each lens, in chrome (thus with the brass barrel, which does add a
considerable weight to them). It is natural that Solms would offer these
lenses to other distributors too. I cannot understand the "time-limit"
imposed on the F & G order, as Lemon had them in stock a couple of weeks ago.
Could it be that Solms did an "overrun" on the Lemon order and allowed the
other dealers to buy the excess? I saw the various versions in Tokyo, and yes
they look great on a 3F or 3G (although the 50/2 and the 50/1,4 have the
collapsible hood, which I personally don't like at all).
 As for being competition for the Japanese made LTM lenses, I doubt it. You
can buy the Cosina 35/1,7, the 50/1,5 and the 75/2,5 for what the 50/1,4
Summilux costs in LTM mount (plus assorted finders and adapters included).
The Leica LTM glass is a product that was requested by a dealer (a very BIG
dealer, mind you), not a product "designed" by Leica/Solms for the market
place. However, it gladdens me that Solms has reacted to the request and
actually made the product. Hey, maybe they will start listening to opinions
of the users and dealers in the future!
 I did a quick calculation and I have come up with 12 different LTM lenses
being introduced in Japan in the last 30 month. Some of these have been
"limited Editions" like the 21/3,5 Ricoh, the 28/2,8 Ricoh and the 60/1,2
Hexanon.
 We tend to forget that Japan has a long tradition of using the 39mm
screwmount; Canon, Nicca, Leotax, just to name a few, all had the mount and
lens-to-filmplane registry of the screwmount Leica (or "Barnack-Leica" as it
is know in Japan, a far more attractive name in my mind).
 With M-cameras rarely seen below US$ 1,200-1,500 for a run of the mill,
fairly beaten up M2 or M3, it makes sense to me, to buy a 3F or 3C instead -
spend maybe $4-500 for a good user body and still have access to a HUGE
variety of lenses, both Leica and non-Leica.
The last couple of weeks I have been shooting with the 21/3,5 Ricoh, the
35/1,7 Ultron, the 50/1,5 Nokton and the 75/2,5 Color Heliar. Erwin tested
the 21/3,5 Ricoh and I concur with his opinion, a very good lens, but no
21/2,8 Asph (but it is less than ½ size and price too). As for the 35,50 and
75 Cosina lenses. The Ultron is largish, has a very short focus "throw" (only
slightly more than a ¼ turn from 0,8m to infinity) and is as good as a
pre-Asph 35/2. The 50/1,5 Nokton is a stunning performer, it certainly gives
the Summilux 50 a run for its money and judging from negs shot side by side
with the 50/1,5 and the 50/1,4, I would say that the Nokton is the better
performer. The Summilux is an old design, it is in dire need of an upgrade
and it shows. The Nokton is manufactured, using the state of the art
Aspherical Glass Molding technology and with the application of 40 more years
of optical know-how since when the Summilux was designed. The 75/2,5 is a
very creditable performer - it is not a 75/1,4 Summilux in performance, but
it is also ¼ of the price and less 1/3 of the weight. It feels very much like
a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit, but it is better wide-open (although not as good as
the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 wide-open) and it has less of a "telephoto" feel than
the 90. It works very well as a slightly long 50, rather than a "shorter" 90.
With the 35 and the 75, you have a small, lightweight travel pack. So far the
only problem I have had with these latest Cosina lenses is a tendency for the
paint on the barrel and hood to chip. At least, when it chips, it shows nice
"brassing" underneath. Matches my black M3's and M2's!
 I have dusted off my "Barnack-Leica's" and I have shot more with them in the
last couple of weeks, than in the last couple of years. The filmadvance is
slow and the loading has a somewhat steep learning curve (it is amazing what
words can be accompanying this process - not for the sensitive souls, at
least until you mastered it). The filmadvance problem will be solved, I have
started the design and "rough" prototyping of a Rapidwinder for the 3C/3F and
3G and everything going according to schedule, should have something in the
new millenium.
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC