Subject: [Leica] Another comparison, more realistic this time
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 01:40:12 +0200

I have updated the experimental image on my site, at:

http://www.atkielski.com/Temporary/leicatest.jpg

(note: the image is 365 KB in size)

This image compares the Leica Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH with the Nikon AF-S Nikkor
28-70/2.8D IF-ED.  The photographs are of the same subject, at the same focal
length, from the same position, at the same time of day (albeit it not on
exactly the same day), under the same weather conditions (overcast).  The
exposures are just a tad different, but I left that it because I think it is
relevant; one exposure was made by yours truly based on the Leica meter
recommendation, and the other was made by the Nikon in full-auto mode with
matrix metering.  Focusing was manual with the Leica (naturally), and full
autofocus with the Nikon.  Both images were identically scanned and not adjusted
for color or brightness or anything.  Both images were taken on Fuji Provia 100
slide film.

Don't bother checking resolution of fine detail; the resolution in both images
was far beyond what these greatly downsampled images can show.  However, you may
wish to look at gross resolution, geometry, distortion, etc.  You'll note that
the images were not identically exposed; my exposure and the F5's matrix
exposure differed by about half a stop.  In addition, I chose a combination of
shutter speed vs. aperture that was different from that selected automagically
by the F5--this accounts for the different you see in depth of field.

Now then... care to guess which image was taken by which camera?  Kindly spare
me the anal-retentive invalidations--you don't have to play if you don't want
to.  This is just for fun.

If you actually like this sort of thing, there is a second comparison at

http://www.atkielski.com/Temporary/leicatest2.jpg

All of the points mentioned for the first comparison also apply to this second
one.

  -- Anthony