Subject: [Leica] RE: Using a Circ Polarizer on an M
From: Roger Underwood <roger.aru@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:42:51 +0100

Thanks for the prompt feed-back.  I understand from the instructions
that came with the filter that Circ Polarisers are not as effective
as their Linear counterpart, in which case as I don't need the Circ
for my M6, I'll swop it for a linear.  I 'phoned the dealer today and
in fairness he agreed to this but stated that he has sold hundreds of
polarising filters to M owners over the last ten years and all of
them have been circular and in fact the filers that Leica make for
the M6 are circs etc.

I've recently acquired a Sekonic 508 so I'll be able to run a check
on any abnormal behavior of the Leica meter with the linear filter.

My good wife says that the moral here is that I ought to have checked
with the LUG before ordering ;-)

>Roger,
>
>While you did not necessarily need the Circular Polarizer (this type of
>filter is for SLRs with TTL metering such as an R8) you can still use it
>without any problem.  The nice part about Heliopan is that they are
>numbered.  Simply look through it and turn the ring until you see the
>desired effect.  Note the number at at the top (say the 12 o'clock
>position).  Now simply place it back on your lens and set that noted number
>to the 12 o'clock position so the image you saw will be that which appears
>on the film.  That's all there is to it.
>
>Peter K

Regards

Roger Underwood

roger.aru@cwcom.net