Subject: [Leica] Re: Need a Moderated List
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:33:12 -0400

All-

I have participated in internet and USENET discussion groups
and mailing lists since 1985. Jim, Anthony and others are
absolutely correct when they say that a moderated list will
wither and die.

I have found that folks who can't deal with unmoderated lists
fall into four categories:

- - those who can't *stand* to see opinions that vary with theirs;
- - those who are quick to take offence AND slow to forgive.

With the LUG digest I find these complaints especially odd;
when I'm busy I look at the handy topic list, scan down to
find the tidbits I want, maybe copy 1 or 2 posts into a textfile,
and dump the rest. Takes five minutes or less. Others accomplish
the same goal with automated filters (which I mainly use to
eliminate email spam).

The third category:

- - those who read slowly. Sorry. Can't help you there.

The fourth category:

- - those who really are interested in a very constrained range
of subjects.

These folks  have a problem that's inherent to mailing
lists, partly ameliorated by the availablity of a searchable
archive. If the archive could be time-delimited (as is easily
done with newsgroup search engines like DejaNews), then these
folks would have a really direct way to get only the info wanted.

One other possibility would be to fragment the LUG into a few
sub-lists: equipment/technique/collectibles/gossip.

I'd subscribe to all of 'em, happily.

- -Alexey