Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA STORY
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:09:52 +1000

Pete Groh wrote:

> Ted, who I don't know but have come to admire after reading his
> posts over the past 6 months or so, asked the other day if anyone
> had any "Leica stories."
>
> Well, here's a short one:
>
>  We've made a half dozen or so vacation trips
> to Maine, almost alway along U.S. 1, over the past 10 years. Usually
> wind up at Bar Harbor and spend a lot of time prowling about in
> Acadia National Park.
>
> Each time, I would grab a Lightware case and load it up with Canon and
> Nikon bodies and lens that I use to shoot pro sports. I would
> load the case in trunk -- and that's usually where it would stay for
> most of the vacation. Just no fun getting that heavy stuff out
> and carrying it around. Too much like working a NFL sideline.
>
> This year, I took a different approach.  I only packed an M2 that
> I have had for years, a 50mm 2.8 collapsible Elmar lens and a bunch
> of film.
>
> And this time, I made pictures. What a difference, having such
> a lightweight outfit on your shoulder. You barely know it's there.
> It made picture-taking fun.
>
> And the little Leica meter on top did its job adequately.
>
> Nice images -- all in black in white. Sharp, well exposed --
> and all with that certain smooth quality about them that only Leica
> lens seem capable of producing.
>
> So there, Ted, that's my little story.
>
> Pete Groh
> Ohio

  Pete,  a very good story. This is right up my alley. I have learned,
that often the most enjoyable time making pictures is to take the minimum
amount of equipment. Take the camera you are most comfortable with, the
lens you use the most and off you go.
No worries, what  lens to use,. You got only one. No worries if you should
use flash or not. you don't have one. Just look and if you like it,
photograph it.

A few years ago I went for a holiday to Switzerland , Germany and Austria.
Before i went, I agonized as to what equipment to take and how much of it.
An hour before we left to go to the airport, I decided to take the M3, a
50mm DR Summicron and the MR meter to clip on.  I had a super holiday. I
went on the trip in Switzerland on the Glacier Express from Zermat to St.
Moritz. I set the speed to 1/500 sec and just set the aperture according
to the meter. I got plenty of great shots from the train. All sharp. I
could enjoy the trip, without having to worry, what lens to fit. This way,
I did not miss out on any shots I wanted. Also my little gray cells could
relax.  Next time I go somewhere like this, I will take again a 50mm lens
(I wont mention the word Noctilux, this way nobody gets jealous), and make
sure I enjoy myself.

Regards, Horst Schmidt