Subject: [Leica] B/W enlarger question
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:42:38 -0500

The Focomat 1C is an excellent enlarger, but it is old, and there are some
things to consider.  First, you state that the Focotar lens is designated a 5cm
lens rather than a 50mm lens, which indicates that it is an early Focotar, and
might show its age, primarily in that it might have internal fogging of the
glass elements.  This can be 95% removed, but it will cost you $50 - $100.  You
can use other 50mm enlarger lenses, but you lose the autofocus capability of the
1C.   As mentioned by someone before, check the bottom surface of the condenser
for scratches and pitting.  Also check alignment.  If it has been dropped, the
alignment could be off, and this might not be repairable.  If it is not the
Color model, it does not have a filter drawer above the condenser, and so if you
want to print VC papers, you must use filters below the lens - not a problem
from what I have experienced and heard about, but the above-the-lens drawer is
preferred.  In addition, if the auto focus is to work, you must use a 25mm thick
easel or use the baseboard of the enlarger.   And before you plug it in, check
the wiring.  I plugged one in once, and had a smoking, stinking, dangerous mess
on my hands until the circuit breaker engaged!

The preferred lens for the 1C is the 50mm Focotar-2.

Good luck.