Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OH No Filters
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:18:00 -0700 (PDT)

> > I have pictures taken side by side with an M, no filter,
> > and a Nikon, with filter.  The Nikon photos show ghost
> > images of the light sources.
>
> What about pictures taken side-by-side with the same M, with and
> without a filter?

Sounds like a good test. Do several dozen different variations on the
scene: high contrast situations, specular reflections or not, low
contrast, etc.

My own testing in this area convinces me that there are many situations
where even a super high quality filter costs me something in
terms of flare/loss of contrast/loss of resolution. It convinced me that I
should always use a lens hood and not always use a filter, particularly if
the photographs I was trying to obtain were in high contrast lighting or
lighting which included a lot of specular reflection or backlight.

Of course, B&W control filters (yellow, green, orange, red, blue) are
sometimes necessary evils for me to get the tonal scale I want, and color
control filters (skylight, warming, cooling) are similarly essential at
times. I try to minimize the need for filters and use them when
appropriate.

Only testing and experience will let you understand when the tradeoffs
will be significant to you.

Godfrey